Chocolate & Avocado Mousse (Raw, dairy and sugar free!)10.1.2018
"Raw and dairy-free, this is one of the richest, glossiest, chocolatiest mousses you’ll ever taste. Lightly macerated strawberries are wonderful with it. Cherries, raspberries, peaches or apricots are also great companions." – Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall
This wonderful Chocolate & Avocado Mousse recipe from Chef Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall tastes very decadent but is sugar free and dairy free. The creaminess comes from Avocado, a supremely healthy ingredient full of Heart-Healthy Monounsaturated Fatty Acids and one with has more potassium than bananas.
- 2 large avocado very ripe
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3-5 tbsp runny honey or agave nectar
For the honeyed strawberries
- 200 g strawberries hulled
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- squeeze lime or lemon juice to taste
- Combine the strawberries with the honey and lemon or lime juice. (Don’t worry if the honey doesn’t seem to combine too easily at first.) Cover and leave for 20–30 minutes then, once the juices are starting to seep out of the berries, stir again and set aside until ready to serve.
- Meanwhile, to make the mousse, halve the avocados, remove the stones and peel, then put the flesh into a food processor. Add the cocoa powder, a good squeeze of lime juice and 3 tablespoons honey. Process to a velvety, thick purée, then taste and add more honey or lime juice as you like.
- Scoop the mousse into small serving dishes, cover and chill for an hour or so. Serve with the honeyed strawberries and their juices spooned on top.