Refined-sugar-free Carrot Cupcakes04.6.2019
Dementia is set to be the 21st century’s biggest killer and affect 1 million by 2021. Each cupcake sold this Cupcake Day will help Alzheimer’s Society find a cure, improve care and offer help and understanding for people affected.
Whether you choose to celebrate on 13 June or mark the occasion another time in the month, there are no excuses not to get involved. Dust off your baking bowls, whip out your whisks and unite against dementia by signing up for Cupcake Day: cupcakeday.org.uk
- 150g self-raising flour
- 100g ground almonds
- 75g raisins
- 50g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 3 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3 large eggs
- 100ml sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp date nectar
- 3 tbsp milk
- 300g carrots, grated
- 200g cream cheese
- grated rind of 1 orange
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180°c, 160°C fan, gas mark 4. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Place the flour, ground almonds, raisins, walnuts, mixed spice and bicarbonate into a large bowl and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil, date nectar and milk. Stir in the grated carrots then add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and mix to make a thick batter.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases. Bake for 20 minutes then leave to cool on a cooling rack.
- Beat together the cream cheese and orange zest. Pipe or spoon the cream cheese frosting on top of each cake and then sprinkle with ground cinnamon.