Shambhu’s Mixed Daal Recipe20.4.2018
A delicious super healthy, super tasty daal.
A fantastic dairy-free, egg-free, wheat-free, gluten-free, recipe with no added sugar.
Produced by Nishma Shah of Shambhu’s: www.shambhus.co.uk
You can catch Nishma live on stage at VegFestUK in Bristol 26-28th May 2018.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable cooking oil (optional)
- 80g split chickpea lentils
- 80g split pigeon peas or tuver daal
- 80g green lentils
- 80g split red lentils
- 1.5 litre water
- 2 medium size onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 11⁄2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 chillies
- Juice of 1⁄2 lime/lemon
- 2 one inch sticks cinnamon
- 6 pieces of cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 pieces of star anise
- 1⁄2 black pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander & cumin powder
- 5 tablespoons tomato passata
- Salt to taste
- Coriander for garnishing (optional)
- Wash the split chickpea, tuver daal and green lentils, and soak them for 2 hours.
- Drain the water from the lentils, add fresh water and wash.
- In a pan, warm up a tablespoon of cooking oil.
- Add the cinnamon sticks and cloves to the warm oil first, and then add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and star anise.
- Add the diced onions as soon as the mustard seeds and cumin seeds start to sputter.
- Cook the onions till they brown and start to caramelise.
- Add some salt to help release water from the onions.
- While the onions are cooking, peel the ginger and garlic, and finely chop the chillies.
- Add the split chickpea lentils, tuver daal and green lentils once the onions have caramelised.
- Add 500 ml of water.
- Cover the pan and leave on medium heat until the lentils are partially cooked.
- Meanwhile wash the split red lentils.
- Use a plane grater to grate in the garlic and ginger, and add the finely chopped chillies.
- After 15 minutes check whether lentils are soft. If they are soft add the red lentils and another 500ml of water (or more if all the previous water has been absorbed by the lentils).
- Add in the remaining ingredients, and leave the daal to stew for 5 minutes.
- Switch off the heat, add some chopped coriander and serve.