Crushed Carrot Salad with Crispy Spiced Chickpeas & Yoghurt Dressing09.11.2017
Not your average salad! You can also make it with parsnip or beetroot instead of carrot. This is equally tasty as a starter or a main!
This salad recipe, courtesy of Riverford Organic, isn’t really a salad, but more a coming together of plenty of complementary elements.
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove , crushed
- 120ml yogurt
- small handful of mint, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- handful of parsley, chopped
- 600g leftover roasted carrots
- ½ tbsp honey
- 1 lemon
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- 50g watercress
- 40g flaked almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 200°C/Gas Mark 6. Drain the chickpeas and rinse under cold water. Tip them into the clean tea towel and pat them as dry as you can.
- Place the chickpeas in the roasting tray with 2 tablespoons of oil and season well with salt and pepper. Mix well and spread them out so they are one layer deep. Roast for 20 minutes. Giving them a turn twice during cooking. They should be a golden nutty brown. Remove early if they look like burning.
- Make the dressing by whisking the mustard and half the garlic with the yogurt. Season with salt and pepper, and stir in the mint.
- Remove the chickpeas from the oven. Add the cumin, paprika and half the chopped parsley to the tray. Mix well and leave to cool slightly.
- Give the carrots a rough bash with a wooden spoon or potato masher. You want to lightly smash them into coarse pieces. Mix them with the honey and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Mix the crushed carrots with the spiced chickpeas, red onion and watercress. Divide it equally between 2 plates. Artfully spoon the dressing across the salad. Scatter over the almonds, remaining parsley and a little lemon zest.